Sunday, June 20, 2010

We Have a Zoo Too!


There is not much to eat in the Atacama Desert so the few animals that do live here drop by for a few scraps of food each day. The Foxes or Zorro's shows up most everyday about the time we finish eating so they can have a few left overs. I am not sure what they eat when we are not there. I have not seen any thing else that they could eat besides a small lizard. The workers say that there are mice in the hills but I have never seen one. There are no bugs, no vegetation nothing it looks like the surface of the moon. We leave a bowl full of water out for them to drink but they don't require much water.

The bird that is pictured showed up one day and I hurried and snapped a photo. He went to the food bowl and began squawking at another bird just like him across the ravine. He chocked down some food. All of a sudden the other bird flew in and the two began sparring on the ground. I had just put my camera away and I missed a National Geographic moment. The two continued to fight and then they flew off pecking and squawking at each other in the air. There was a third bird involved that was smaller, he had been watching the scuffle and as soon as the other two left fighting he flew over and finished off the food. Pretty smart bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment